Version 1.1 is here!
This update is a COMPLETE rewrite of the game's code.
In the last year and a half I've been learning how to script in C Sharp. During that time, I've rewritten the entire code-base of Switch 'N' Shoot, so it now uses 100% C Sharp instead of a third-party visual scripting tool. This means I'm able to get a lot closer to the nitty-gritty logic and optimise things more effectively.
I hope you'll notice the huge upgrade in how smoothly the game runs, as well as a bunch of improvements and additions.
If you like it, please remember to leave a review and tell a friend -- as a solo indie developer I rely entirely on word of mouth. Thank you!!
Switch 'N' Shoot has recently been hitting barcades in the U.S., courtesy of awesome indie game cabinet creator DSM Arcade. Check them out!
I overhauled the code for this special arcade version, and it made sense to carry it over to the PC and mobile versions too.
Changes in v1.1 from v1.0
Here's a complete rundown of everything that's changed. Huge thanks to everyone who helped test the beta!
Changes & Improvements:
- Rewrote like... 95% of the code.
- All objects now move much more smoothly.
- Spawning/despawning of aliens and bullets heavily optimised (using an object pooling system).
- After a Boss is killed, the next wave begins a little later (to give you a moment to readjust).
- Automatic TATE mode (full screen portrait) if your resolution is taller than it is wide, for the authentic arcade feel at home!
- You can now skip the 'high score table reveal' sequence to get back to playing quicker.
- The background colour changes to a dimmed version of the alien colour when you die, instead of always being red.
- Many more possibilities and improvements for random name generator.
- Smart text box fitting for sentences that didn't quite fit.
- 'Aliens Missed' stat is increased when alien self destructs, not when it starts self destruct sequence (because you could still kill them with a Shield in this state).
- Boss attack pattern is a little more balanced (not truly random any more, uses a pooled attack list instead).
- Shield Dropper alien is now rendered in front of the Boss so it's easier to see.
- Moved weapon power bar to the top of the screen for better visibility.
- Sharper fonts.
- Added new Boss music.
- Added new Plus menu music.
- All music volume balanced to be slightly quieter.
- Added pitch randomisation to all SFX and speech.
- Music fades in and out when it changes between screens.
- Fixed bug where the first alien would always spawn in same position.
- Fixed sprite render order on Boss.
- Fixed Boss' vomit beam not animating.
- Fixed Boss' eye not flashing when hit.
Get Switch 'N' Shoot
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.